29 April 2012

Female OC Characterization

So, I have been browsing around AFF to find good stories. And I came across a hodgepodge of such poor-made, irritating, and don't forget the oh-so-perfect female OC(s). The descriptions I encountered are either this:

Ching Chong is a filthy rich girl who has everything in the world, but she is sweet, kind, and a happy-go-lucky-girl. Don't forget, she's a nerd and dates the most badass kingka (whatever that is) in the whole entire world, Lee Sungjong. Oh, she also hates the school's queenka, Hyuna.  

Or this:

You or __ is a poor girl who lost her parents because of a spaceship attack. Now you have no money and has to take care of yourself. But because you are so perfect, you were able to keep yourself smelling good, even though you're penniless. One day, by some miracle, Myungsoo steps into the picture, although he has better things to do than take care of a homeless stranger, and provides you a home. 


Or this:

Bert What I meant was Soyu, is a kick-ass girl who will rip the shreds out of you if you get in her way. But, she softens up when she decides to pick on the school's number one nerd, Kim Sunggyu. (trust me, I have seen this plot so much).

And finally:

King Kong is a fat girl. She doesn't have friends, and her Christmas picture is still printing because that's how fat she is. Because of a bet, Hoya asks her out. At first, he didn't like it, and now he's falling madly in love with her. (note: not all fat people are friendless!)

My thoughts on this was ... what the dodo bird? Where is the individuality? Is being normal a sin? And the atrocious part is, that it's a YOU fic. That means I have to insert my name and pretend it's me. To be honest with you, those descriptions are nowhere near the mighty great Erika. No, I am not some homeless scum nor am I stinking rich (I wish I was), neither am I sweet, kind, a nerd (at least I don't consider myself one), a gangster girl, or overall a Mary Sue*. I am just Erika who lives a very boring life on this planet Earth.

Do I hate Mary Sue characters? Naaww... I just find them very unoriginal, unrealistic, and a nuisance. All girls are not just made of sweetness, they are also made up of sugar and spice, and everything nice ... Well, according to this poem, that is. And please don't think that I hate girly-girls. I am actually very fond of them, you know, if they're a Disney princess character. Although, it's pretty awkward when I watch Disney princess movies, especially when the girl is dreaming/singing that her prince will someday come. We all know in reality that is not going to happen 99.9% of the time (feel free to correct me on that one). The one I was never sticky on was Mulan, and I dearly love that movie.

So, to sum it down, there is nothing wrong with being normal. Have some originality, though I wouldn't advise you to be too original. Otherwise, it would end up like this:

Krung Krung is a girl who lived a boring life. Everything she did was the same: eat, sleep, and poop. She wasn't perfect, she was ... normal.


No! Just no! Even if that wasn't cliche, most people would not bother to read something like that. Try to have a mixture of reality and fantasy, after all, it's fanfiction.

For all those who are wondering who is Mary Sue, read this. Oh, wait, wrong link. I meant this.

No comments:

Post a Comment