09 September 2012

Memorable + Recommendations

I've been hit with a question that I would like to address... What makes a story memorable?

Good question there. Of course, people have certain preferences so I have come into conclusion that there is no exact answer as to what makes a story memorable. It’s like doing a Science Fair experiment (skip this part if want). Your friend may have added a certain amount of fertilizer to the soil; as a result, the rose grew beautifully (no need to get smart on me saying that roses don’t need fertilizer just to grow beautiful because it is pretty just the way it is- this is just a freaking example!). And since you decided only to assign a tad bit of fertilizer, the rose evolved abnormally. So the independent variable is the fertilizer added to the rose, which in other words are people’s preferences. The dependent would be the rose’s health or beauty (?), which is the individual’s taste(s). That leaves us with the controlled variable which is having the same type of fertilizer used for the two roses, or in this situation the question being asked in exact words. Like a Science experiment right?

I made the question more complex when it’s really not. Correct me if you find something incoherent, I’m just practicing for Science Fair. Go ahead and tell me your preferences I'll be willing to listen and maybe do a project about it for fun.

It always begins with the forewords. I’m pretty chill for the most part when judging descriptions and titles. I understand that coming up with the greatest title and plot in the world is nearly impossible, if not, close. But… this story just left me speechless, so I’m going to use it as an example along with some recommendations.

Skyline- just by viewing the name, I can already imagine the vibrant neon signs and monolith buildings. Random scenes and streetlights blurred in my vision as my car speeds through the dark streets of the city; maybe even add the cold weather (since it’s freezing in my room) just for the night city-ish atmosphere.

No, it wasn’t the title or the excellence of the plot/how it’s written that made it unforgettable for me. I didn’t feel butterflies either by reading it. It’s because it gradually took me time to love that story. And I mean by time as in constantly thinking about it and, as crazy it sounds, makes my heart beat fast as I reflect at what occurred in the story line; no butterflies involved. In other words, I didn’t immediately mark the story epic in the beginning.

Diary of a Quiz Bowl Amateur- for a total moron like me, I need inspiration to boost my intellectuality.

Perspectives- written with such beautiful descriptive words.

The Sandman and his Fairy- it lured me in just by reading the forewords.

Curse of the Sorcerer- one of the best straight-up romance I have read.

In the Eyes of a Prisoner- not really my kind of story but I admire the dynamics.

Dear Reviewer, You Suck- just for pleasure and learning.

EDIT: You could interpret this post as the metaphor for love (as in romance); it slowly takes time to develop feelings for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment